Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Buttercup Bag


I had really intended to make my next post about the Buttercup bag by Rae from the MadebyRae blog. It seems to be very popular. I made one today so I know why it’s so in demand. It’s quick and cute and does not need a lot of fabric. It’s a small purse that you can drop a wallet and cell phone into and you’re ready to go. It’s also very easy to make and great for a beginner. I like the 1 strap part, too. However, the link to the bag is down right now but here is the link to her blog: Made by Rae. I did some checking and found 600 and something pictures of Buttercup bags on this flickr page. I really liked the ones made in linen as seen on Ems photo stream. It inspired my own bag.


Ok, looks a little different than the others, doesn’t it? With all due respect to Rae, who designed a fantastic bag that we can all fool around with, I made some changes.
1. I wanted a wider top band. So, I added 1” along the top of piece “A”. Here’s how- measure 1” above the black line at the top of piece a bunch of times so you can connect the dots on the curve. After you connect the dots, line up a ruler along the side black line of this piece on both ends to keep the slant going. Do the same on the lining or your pieces won’t match.
2. The pleats- my feeble, everything has to be symmetrical mind can’t deal with 5 pleats pointing in the same direction. So, I made 4 and made them pointing out from the center. Here’s how: take your “A” piece and your “B” piece. Pin your outside pleat on each side of piece “B” as marked so that they are both pointing toward the side seam. Now, pin piece “A” to “B” at both ends, at each pleat pinned so far, and in the center. Use the extra fabric on each side of center to make 1 more pleat on each side, half way between center and pleat already pinned. These should point towards the side seam also. Now, finish pinning piece “A” to “B”. Sew the seam as in the pattern.
3. Since I was using a very soft, drapey linen and not home décor fabric as in Rae’s sample, I felt my bag needed a bit more body. I cut 2 pieces of pattern piece “A” in décor weight pellon iron on interfacing. After sewing “A” to “B” and pressing seam toward “A”, I ironed on the interfacing to the back of piece “A”. Then I topstitched 1/8th inch along the seam on the “A” piece.
4. The strap- instead of 3” strip, with ¼ “ pressed in, I cut 4 inches then pressed the strip in half down the middle the full length of the strip. Then, I opened it up and pressed both sides into the middle, having the raw edge right against the middle fold line. Then I folded the strip along the center fold pressed in the first step. Then I topstitched. I’ve made quite a few bags this summer and just like the sturdier strap.

Other than those changes, it’s a Buttercup Bag! If you always stick strictly to patterns, this really is a great time to try to use your ideas on a pattern. It’s just 2 fat quarters if you mess up! But you won’t because even if it doesn’t come out exactly like you planned, you will have learned something!

My next project will be a bag or two by Keyka Lou.

No comments:

Post a Comment